Thursday, January 7, 2016

Boudoir Photographer in Castle Rock, CO



Yes, I know. I thought the same thing.  “There is no way I am taking pictures of myself in nothing but my bra and panties!  I don’t even like the few minutes while getting dressed that are spent in just my bra and panties.”  And yet, just a few short years ago I did just that. 

Some may wonder, as a christian, what in the world am I doing taking “those” kind of pictures.

I never thought I would be doing boudoir photography when I started my business, in fact, I don’t even think I knew there was such a thing. But one day someone asked me about it, and the requests just kept coming. 

I started to think about it. I wasn’t sure I could do it, I mean, could I even “see” the photos?  And who in their right mind is going to volunteer so I could practice!  Which left me with only one thing to do.  Try and take boudoir photos of myself! Let me just say it was indeed every bit of comical that you might be imagining!! Most of the photos were ridiculous, out of focus or of me flying through the air trying to get into position before the shutter went off, but there were a handful of images that made me pause, tilt my head a little, squish up my lips and say, “hmmm”. 

In a moment of unusual courage I printed those images, ran to Michael’s and purchased a small scrapbook and proceed to arrange them in the purchased album.  I wrapped the book in paper and left it sitting on the coffee table with Rod’s name on it. And then I hid. Nervous out of my mind, what in the world was I doing!! Had I lost my mind!  I am not the kind of girl that can take these kind of photos of herself! Sure, I have been told all my life that I have a pretty face but from the neck down things have gone terrible wrong!

As he peeled back the paper I wanted to lunge out of my hiding place, grab the book and throw it in the fireplace.  But then I remembered, we don’t have a fireplace, so I stayed put, frozen in place my mind racing. 

I watched as he lifted the cover, I closed my eyes and braced myself for the laughter that was sure to follow. But all I heard was the faintest gasp, I looked, peeking around the corner and watched as his fingers slowly traced each photo.  He lingered over and savored each image and when he reached the end he made his way backwards through the book again. 

For the first time, in some 20 years of marriage I was able to see myself through the eyes of my husband and I never felt more beautiful than in that moment.  It made me think of the girl in Song of Solomon, “I am dark, yet lovely.”  The world around us is happy to help us focus in on those things that have been deemed less than desirable.  For the girl in Song of Solomon, her skin was “too dark” but she knew that even though she didn’t meet the world’s standards she was “lovely”.  

That day while watching my husband look at me, I too realized that I am lovely, fearfully and wonderfully made, His masterpiece.  


Your husband will probably love photos of you, just as much as my husband loved photos of me.  Here is a note I received from one such husband:

"Last night, my wife gave me the anniversary book she worked with you in creating and I just wanted to let you know that I was blown away.  
From our family picture sessions, I already knew God has blessed you with many gifts.  But what you did with my wife, capturing her incredible beauty, and doing it in our home was both very special and truly artistic.  In addition, your talents allowed me to see and appreciate Amy even more after hearing all she did to make this gift for me a reality…not to mention that she got way outside of her comfort zone and put herself “out there”.  She would not have done that with just anyone, but your warm heart gave her trust to do so.   So thank you for everything you did for us".

But what I love the most about boudoir photography is watching one beautiful woman after the next realize that she is truly “lovely”.  

Here are just a few comments from my lovely ladies!
- "Oh my gosh, I can't believe that is me, I am still beautiful"
- "Is that me? I can't believe that's me! Thank you sooooo much!!!"

- "I love them. Thank you Thank you Thank you so much for being a tool in the hand of God. "
- "I love them Cija!!!!  This is truly my husbands dream come true!"
- "You are going to start a marriage revival with these photo shoots. Thank you so much! My husband is going to love them and I love them too!
- "Cija, thank you so much!  I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, thank you for reminding me that I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
- "I just saw them. You are amazing! Can I just say, as awkward and embarrassing this was initially, I am so happy I did this. I feel freed. I know the Lord wanted me to see myself "naked and unashamed." Thank you for having the courage to do this and for helping so many of us. "
- "I just wanted to thank you again for today and tell you that after doing the shoot , I’m recommending it to all my friends – I think it’s a great thing for married women to do, but also something a woman could do just for herself from time to time – it’s been such a good reminder to me (and an eye opener for me) how, as a woman, I need to make time for myself and keep doing the things that make me feel “kept up”, just for me, but also because when I’m feeling less like a worn out, frazzled, stay-at-home mom of two busy little ones and more like my old self, I’m a better wife, mom, friend, etc.  Thanks for walking me thru it so patiently!"
- "Cija, It's been a long time since I've felt this beautiful. Thank you... with love and appreciation.
-  "Thanks for coming over today.  It was a delight to work with you.  Upon reflection, one thing that I noticed impacted me is the language that you use during the shoot.  You have the unique opportunity to affirm a woman in a vulnerable position using a woman's language!  Words like, incredible, beautiful, pretty.  Men don't necessarily use those words.  The fact that you take the time to utter them reflects another aspect of your boudior 'ministry'.  : )"
-  "Oh Cija!!... I'm speechless.  I had to show my girlfriend (I can't believe I wanted to show her). 
 I LOVE THEM!"
-  "Boudoir Photography. Beauty.  Perfection.  Completion.  You are fearfully and wonderfully made.  Not until you experience it,  will you believe it, no matter who tells you.  It's the beauty that is in the curve of the back, the shoulder blade, the wisp of a curl, the beauty of the eyes.  It's you.  It's God's completion and love.  It's the beauty within a marriage. It's the beauty that takes that love to a deeper, more committed love. "It's not the desire of your spouse?" Yes, it is. It's the insecurity talking, forbidding you. It's what's been stripped from every woman, willing her to beat herself up from not being good enough, pretty enough, worthy enough.  Within the confines of a safe environment, with a classy photographer and a willing heart, you will be found.  Cija answers each scenario you seek.  You can do this, God's work will be revealed to you in yourself.  You will be shocked, you won't understand it and for the first time you will soar!"
-  I adore my photos. They are sophisticated  stylish, gorgeous,  artistic, and timeless. The best thing is that they feel like they really capture me; they incorporate my favorite parts of my home, my own decor and lingerie and shoes, and a few key possessions (most notably, they tastefully highlight my wedding ring and my love for my husband and the life we've built in that home).  I know my husband will adore them too and I can't wait to see the look on his face. The hardest part, surprisingly, was not having the photos taken. It was trying to decide which photos to buy, when I really wanted them all! 
Thank you, 3 Wishes Photography, for a wonderful experience and a beautiful gift for both me and the man that I love."
Oh my word Cija... I cannot believe that's me.  They are beautiful.

I hope that maybe you will take a moment to consider doing something so outrageous! I can promise you you won't be disappointed.  I have opening available right now!! Visit my website for pricing information and contact me to request access to the private boudoir  gallery.
cija@3wishesphotography.com
www.3wishesphotography.com

2 comments:

AceR said...

Cija,
You have always had a beautiful heart and great sense humor. This is a beautiful blog that comes from your heart! I'm not married but you have hit upon something that most women have a hard time believing.....that they are beautiful, fearfully and wonderfully made. I know it is something I've always struggled with in my own heart. Thank you for sharing your heart and thoughts. I believe those words are precious and timely. I hope other women will take a chance to themselves "thru their husbands eyes."

3 Wishes Photography said...

Ah, thanks Amee. Thank you for taking the time to leave such a heart felt comment here. For the record, when we all used to pal around, I always thought you would so beautiful. You reminded me of Amy Grant.