Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Pig

This is not the typical 3 Wishes blog post, but it occurred to me that this is my blog, it's not just about the pictures I take but about me as the photographer the person behind the camera and this is the place that you will be able to get to know me a little bit better. So... from time to time, I have decided that I will include a blog of a more personal nature. A little picture of my own life, to go with the pictures that I take.
Sadly, I have been in a bad mood for 32 hours and 20 minutes. Just plain old grumpy. No, I don't have a good reason. But alas... I am grumpy. I drove car pool today, and the kids were grumpy too! They bickered about where they wanted to sit and in the end they were just plain old grumpy. Then when we got home there was more grumpiness, so I sent everyone to their rooms for some quiet time (I should have sent myself too!). After about 15 minutes my oldest started to stir and asked if she could play quietly with the things in her room, from time to time she would come out with a report. She was counting her money and she had just over $8! Moments after returning to her room I heard a crash, you know that kind, you can just hear that something has broken in to many pieces. The victim... The Pig! Now a sweet and kind mother would have gone in and comforted their little girl, empathized with her feelings and reassured her that all would be right. But today, I was grumpy mom. Instead, I stood with my hands on hips and demanded to know what she had done to cause such a thing. Seriously Cija? There she sat kneeling on her bedroom floor with her pig shattered in front of her and her cranky mom lecturing her on how she should be more careful. Her little sister tried to step in and be the loving mom and told her that we could always get a new one and not to cry. Cranky mom stepped in again and gave a 101 class on finance and economics. As the careless words pooled out of my mouth, something inside me tried to convince me to reel it in, to shut my mouth and open my arms to hold and comfort my little girl. Instead I reached for the trash can and watched her throw each piece of her pig into the trash. With each "clank" of the pig I felt my crusty crankiness start to fade. It was time to leave for "Back to School Night" and as Melia headed for the door in her room I took a step in the right direction, right into the middle of her path, and held my arms open wide. She wrapped her arms around me and cried. Quietly I muttered, "I'm really sorry about your pig." I took a few minutes to recall a story of how I, too had broke something that was special to me when I was a little girl and apologized for being "Mrs. Cranky Pants". How do your kids do it? How do they fall back into our arms when we have behaved so terribly. I have much to learn from her example.
When we got home it was the usual routine, as we hurried the girls off to bed. Rod went downstairs and I parked myself at the computer to watch the first installment of an online course I am taking. As I sat there, I swear I could hear "The Pig" calling to me from the trash can! So there I sat, listening to my class and picking "The Pig" out of the trash can while Melia slept in her pigless room. One and half super glues and an hour later I had this to show for myself...

Oh it's far from perfect, there's even a few piece missing but Melia will be so happy to have her "Pig" back, safe and sound. It seems that sometimes we can really make a mess out of things but we always have an opportunity to try and make it right.
So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up. Galations 6:9 NLT
(Hmmm... I would have thought I 'd pick something that made me appear a little more put together to be my first personal blog entry). Oh well, "Say La Vie". Nighty night! Cija http://www.3wishesphotography.com/

No comments: