Thursday, April 18, 2024

Simple Prompts for Natural Photos

I have been doing professional photography for a long time. A really long time. 

I love authentic expressions and interactions between families. But I also understand that a nice posed photo is important to a lot of people, so I try to make my shoot a little bit of both. 

The easiest way to do this is to start with a posed photo and then give your clients a simple prompt.

"Look at your mom and say I love you!"  
You can get some really great expressions, especially from teenage boys! 
"Grab those kiddos and give them a hug!"
"Give each other an eskimo kiss!"
Or... just a regular old kiss!
Or just asking them to look at each other and laugh is enough!!

Walking pictures is another great way to get authentic interactions. 

Simply ask your client to make natural connections (hold hands where it makes sense), then ask them to talk to each other about where they would like to go when they are done with the shoot. I also encourage them to help their kids look up at them. Ask them if there is something on your nose, etc. 
Walk across the the lens. 
Dad leading with both mom and dad looking back at the kids. 
SO CUTE!
Linking arms at the waist and walking 
towards the camera and away never disappoints. 
And sometimes it pays to lag back a bit when walking back to the cars after your shoot. No prompts necessary! (I will often tell my client that I am going to grab a few shots of the sky, so I can fill in their backgrounds if needed and that I will meet them in the parking lot.)

Some more simple prompts that produce great photos!
Ring-around-the-Rosie
Twirls and Baby Presses!
Surprise Hug!
Tell the kids you are going to play a game, ask them to stand real still and no matter what happens keep looking at the camera. Then have dad sneak up behind them and give them a great big hug!
Chats and Baby Presses work too!
Have mom hold their child while spinning around in a circle and stopping short when parallel to the camera! KIDS LOVE THIS ONE!
Ask the kids to chase one another around mom and dad.
Whisper a secret! 
It's not just for kids!
Ask the kids to run and give their parents a hug!!
Alright now, get out there and give it a try!

To book your own shoot, visit my website at www.3wishesphotography.com or email me at cija@3wishesphotography.com

No comments: