Monday, April 22, 2024

Tips for Maximizing your Senior Poses

One of the tricky things about a senior session can be all the outfits. Some girls will bring 5-6 outfits, which can leave you feeling like,  "How in the world am I going think of enough different poses or find enough different spots to take photos in six different outfits?"

Here's some tips that have helped me. 

#1 Find out how many outfits you are dealing with before the shoot starts. 

#2 Then take the number of images you want in your finished gallery and divide that by the number of outfits. Some of you are like wait, what are you taking about? When I started out in this industry I took hundreds of images at each session (and if you haven't nailed focus and exposure it's not a bad idea to continue doing that until your on-shoot skills have improved), but now I take only what I need to offer finished galleries of 40-45 images. 

For example: If I have a client that has 5 outfits, 40 divided by 5 is 8. That means I need to do 8 poses in each of the 5 outfits. 

Now here's what I actually take. For a 40 image finished gallery,  I want to take around 160 images.  Here's how I do the math: I take 1 smiling and 1 serious  look of each pose. That is a total of 80 images. 40 smiling 40 serious. But then I take 1 extra of each just to make sure the image is sharp and their eyes are open and their smile is perfect. That make 160 images total.  When I cull the images, I choose 20 of the best smiles and 20 of the best serious and wallah!

#3 Maximize your locations and your poses by making simple changes. 

- I maximized this spot/pose by simply having her change the position of her legs and move one arm forward. Switching from 85mm to 50mm gave the same location a completely different look. 

- In these two images I stuck with the 85mm and just changed my proximity to the client, while having her change her arm position. 
- Same thing here, I moved and asked her to slip her hand under her chin. 
- In these four images I used both the 50mm and 85mm, while simply directing him to move his golf club. 
- Again, one image was shot with an 85mm lens the other with a 50mm lens, while having the client shift from side facing to front facing. 
- I used the same lens for all 5 of these images, while having her make small changes in her orientation to the lens and well as the placement of her feet and hands. 
- Maximize locations by having the client sit, stand and kneel.
- Or just move closer or further away!
Happy Shooting!
Castle Rock, Colorado

No comments: