Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas!!

I would love to say that I am one of those mom's that loves to bake with her children, but sadly, I am not. The crowding around the stove the spilled ingredients the mixing instead of folding!!! OIY!! So during the week I will occasionally invite ONE girl to help me with dinner but it is an invitation only event. Some nights I just need to "getter done". Christmas Eve, however has become our traditional "baking" day and last year I wised up and found some very kid friendly recipes that made everybody SMILE! So... while I make some of the more "complicated items" my girls have fun making some very cute and yummy treats!
First up... Sweet Pies. Our traditional Christmas breakfast. I remember one year we brought these to a Christmas Party and no one even tried one (granted they can look a little dry to the naked eye), Rod just keep whispering in my ear with great excitement "we're gonna get to take the whole plate home with us!!"
Cutting in the shortening is a mommy job but...
Spreading the cinnamon sugar is just right for a wee one.

Next comes the cutting, the uneven ends make for a yummy cook's treat!
The hard part is waiting until Christmas morning to drive into these yummy little treats!
Next, it was time for Spritz Cookies. I threw my cookie press away last year, it was completely useless. Last year we just smooched balls of dough and called them "melted snowmen" this year we tried cookie cutters. Cookie press or no cookie press these buttery cookies are a must, just too stinkin' yummy to worry about havin' the proper tools.

Reindeer's! Now this one is all kids!! LOVE IT! Nutter butters, pretzels, M&M's and white frosting is all you need. (Thanks Angela!!)



The finished product! My friend, Talia suggested dipping these in chocolate first, which I am sure would be fabulous, but too much work for my taste. I am all for keepin' it simple when I'm bakin' with the kids.
Rudolf Droppings, part mommy part kiddos!
Mommy combines and boils, the girls drop and accent!
Rudolf should have a red nose, but... we ran out of red making our reindeers.

Last but not least our favorite... Reindeer noses.
Top pretzels with Hugs, melt in a warm oven (200 degrees) and then top with an M&M. Your gonna wanna make a lot of these!

Well, our baking is done, now it's time to make a couple of lasagnas and get ready for lunch tomorrow, but soon the sun will set and our hearts will settle into pondering the wonder and precious gift of this Christmas season, our Lord Jesus Christ, born to die so that I might live! I love you JESUS!!!

2 comments:

Linsey said...

What fun, I will have to try some of these easy ones out next year with my kids. I am so with you Cija, not a big fan of cooking with the kids! I don't love cooking/baking anyway, so it's a big deal when I invite someone to help me in the kitchen. I would like to get better at it though, such precious memories for them!

Aimee said...

such great pics and memories you make with your girls=)